Last week when my mom was here, we gave Kayley her first taste of solid food. We gave her a small taste of banana and let her suck on a watermelon cube. She loved both of them! Sunday we gave her a little taste of golden acorn squash, which she also really liked. And yesterday Kayley had her first little solid food meal instead of just a small sample.
| About to give Kayley her first solid food meal |
She loved it! I mashed up part of a banana for her, put a bib on Kayley and got a seat ready for her to eat from (her high chair is currently in storage, and we still need to buy a chair it will connect to). She was so excited to eat the banana. She kept trying to “help” bring the spoon closer to her mouth. At one point she even grabbed at the spoon, got some banana mush on her fingers and stuck her fingers in her mouth. She even discovered that some banana was getting stuck on her bib, so when I wasn’t presenting her with a new small bite, she started sucking on her bib to get more banana. I think she really likes it.
| Helping me put more banana into her mouth |
| More please! |
| MmmMMmM This is good! |
It looks like we’ll be really staring her on solid foods sooner than I originally though. We never had a set time for it anyway; we decided we would just take our cue from her and give her solids when she showed signs of being ready and willing. Z, our pediatrician, said we could introduce solids to her at any time now (most babies are introduced to solids between 4 and 6 months of age), and since Kayley has been growing so fast, she might show signs of needing and wanting solids sooner rather than later.
Kayley has been watching us eat for a while and slowly showing more interest in the things that go in our mouths. And for the past couple of nights Kayley hasn’t been sleeping as well as she has been, plus she has been more hungry and fussy during the day. These can all be signs of needing more in her diet than just mama milk and being ready for the introduction of solids. Of course they can also be signs that a child is going through a growth spurt (which is possible) or that a tooth is coming in (haven’t seen anything yet!). But we decided to go ahead and give her her first small meal since she seems so interested in it.
| All messy after her meal |
Kayley will get t eat banana again today, and probably tomorrow. It has been advised that we stick to one food for a few days to watch out for allergic reactions. And since allergies run in my family, that is something I really want to look out for! I really hope she doesn’t have food allergies like me. I’m totally looking forward to making her food though. I think I’ll get her little food processor out today and make sure it’s ready to use. I’m happy that it’s still summer so the Yakima Food Market is open so we have a great selection of fruits and vegetables to introduce to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment