I love
my midwife, M. For the last two weeks I’ve been a little stressed about a few
things I didn’t share in my last post for fear of going on a rant about it.
Here’s a summary (I’ll try to keep it short…):
The
doctor I saw after our ultrasound was brisk, and in my opinion rude. She looked
at the ultrasound results, talked about it a bit in a motor-mouth that was hard
to follow, asked if I had taken the glucose test, gave me enough time to say “I
passed on taking that test” and was about to explain why, but she cut me off
and reprimanded me right away and told me I HAD to take it without any
explanation. My opinion of this doctor was already low due to her motor-mouth
and awful bedside manner, but after this happened, my opinion of her dropped
drastically. I felt she had no respect for me at all and didn’t want to know
what I had to say about anything. It was like she thought I was a sheep who would nod my head and follow blindly. It was hard to keep respect for her for the
rest of our little visit and actually listen to what she was saying (of course
her motor-mouth made it hard to follow her too…).
Due to
the conversation that followed I had an appointment with a nutritionist, whom I
found very nice. We talked about what I eat and she concluded that I have a
great diet and should keep it up (I told her I had recently cut sweets out of my diet
for the rest of pregnancy, a personal choice). She encouraged me to try and get
a bit more exercise in and to watch my carbohydrates intake. She also gave me
an at home blood tester to test my sugar levels for one week. So that’s what I
have been doing. I’ve been eating even more health, exercising a bit more, and
checking my blood sugar level. I was told if my number was over the limit for 3
times in a week that I needed to go back in and see her. Well, after a week
looks like I don’t need to go in and see her because that didn’t happen. ^_^
Also,
the hospital I’m delivering at has just hired more midwives. This made it so
the midwives now get their own clinic, and there will be 24hr midwifery care.
Whoohoo! I’m excited a midwife will be delivery Cub for sure!!! The bad thing
though is for the last 2 weeks I have had no contact with M as they transfer
their office. I was dying to talk to her about everything that had gone on
since the ultrasound. I’ve been counting down the days to my appointment today
and was so happy to see M.
M and I
talked about everything I divulged here, but a bit more in detail. She looked
over my chart and ultrasound results and only had encouraging things to say.
Obviously Cub is big for her gestational age (she’s measuring in the 90
percentile), but there are many reasons that can be. Besides Cub measuring big, she and I are not showing any other signs of gestational diabetes (i.e. Cub's abdomen is not larger proportion wise, compared to the rest of her body, and no excess amniotic fluid, etc.), which the rude doctor was so admit about just because Cub is big. My uterus is still
measuring big. I’m at 37cm when an average woman would be measuring at 34cm,
but that’s a plus 3 instead of a plus 4 that I was a couple weeks ago. So looks like Cub’s growth has slowed. We’ll
see what happens as God guides how He wants Cub to enter this world. As M said “So
you’re having a big baby. What’s wrong with that?” I then remarked that my Nana,
who was smaller than me, delivered a 10lbs plus baby just fine. It was great to
talk with M; someone who knows me and has been with me this whole pregnancy, so
she’s able to see the whole picture more. She also let me dump my stress on her
as she listened whole-heartedly and then encouraged me and made that stress
significantly diminish. Yes, a bit more is still there, but oh my gosh it’s not
like it was!
Anyway!
Cub’s heart was recorded at 148 this time. Nice and healthy. Babies’ heart
rates tend to be lower near the end of pregnancy compared to the start or
middle. I have our 36 week appointment planned for two weeks from today. That
will be when we discuss my birth plan and make sure we’re all on the same page.
I’ll actually be meeting with one of the new midwives, C, so that’s exciting.
Though I would love it to be M who delivers Cub, I know it could be any of the
midwives on staff, so I want to make sure I meet them all before Cub starts to
come in case it’s not M who is on call.
No comments:
Post a Comment