Monday, May 2, 2011

Non-Stress Test


I had a non-stress test for Tadpole today to check and see how she’s doing. What they did for the test is place two monitors on my belly: one to measure my contractions, and one to measure Tadpole’s heart rate. They then also gave me a clicky button to hold and click whenever I felt Tadpole move. Basically they were creating a chart (that looks like an earthquake reading) to analyze if Tadpole is doing well and can stay in the womb or if she needs to come out now. The chart looks like this (this is not my chart, I found it online):

This is not my chart.

The top read is the baby’s heart rate, and the bottom read is the mother’s contractions. A line through both reads would be made when the clicky was pushed to signal the mother felt the baby move.

During my 20 minute test, I didn’t have any contractions, so the bottom line was pretty boring to look at. But Tadpole’s heart rate was continuously going up and down, between about 135 and 160 – nice and healthy. And my chart had a lot of lines on it to show when I felt her move. What the doctors want to see on these charts is an increase in the baby’s heart rate when she moves or when the mother has a contraction. You could say Tadpole had a “perfect” reading. Her heart rate would increase each time I felt her move and would calm back down again when she was still. Though there were a few times when there wasn’t a signal for her heart rate, but that was because she kicked the monitor so it couldn’t read a signal. Andrew and I found it pretty funny. Hehe ^_^

To let you all know, two nights ago I was wide awake for about 2 and a half hours due to having contractions every 10-12 minutes. Some were intense and other just felt like very mild cramps, but since it continued for so long I started to wonder if the frequency and intensity of the contractions were going to increase and turn into labor. Well, I’m not here posting about Tadpole being born, so obviously that didn’t happen. Instead they abruptly stopped and I haven’t felt many contractions since. I was hoping that this meant my report from Doc S today would have a change from last week’s report on my cervix. To my disappointment I am still measuring exactly the same.

I’m still only dilated 1cm, my cervix is still about 2cm long (it shortens and moves forward as labor draws near – it’s part of effacement), and it hasn’t softened much more either. BUT! I am still at peace about God’s timing in all this and knowing that Tadpole will be born when she is meant to be born. I’m fine if she stays in my womb a bit longer, and I’m fine if I go into labor right now. I’ve been praying this would be my attitude, and that I would put my trust in God for His perfect timing, so I am very happy I feel at peace about my body’s condition and that Tadpole isn’t out of the womb yet.

We did set up a few more appointments if Tadpole decides to stay in the womb a bit longer. As I mentioned in my last doctor update, we’ll be having an ultrasound tomorrow. This ultrasound is to look and see how Tadpole is doing, to check my amniotic fluid level, and make sure there isn't anything abnormal going on in my uterus. It’s another “test” to make sure Tadpole is healthy where she is and does not need to come out yet, or to determine that she does need to enter the world for her own health and safety.

We also have another non-stress test schedule for this Thursday to check on her again. And if she isn’t born by Monday next week, and if labor hasn’t started, I will be getting induced at 7:30am. Induction is starting labor via medical methods. Women are induced for reasons such as: the mother’s water broke, but contractions haven’t started, due to the mother having preeclampsia (which is associated with high blood pressure), bleeding during pregnancy, there is an infection in the uterus, or if a mother is over 42 weeks pregnant. We won’t be over 42 weeks pregnant, but we will be only a couple days away from it. The chances of Tadpole not getting enough nutrition or/and oxygen from my placenta increases as pregnancy approaches and goes past the 42 week mark. We went ahead and schedule the appointment for being induced now since Doc S said that the slots at the hospital can fill up quickly so it’s best to schedule and then cancel than having to hold off for possibly a couple days to be induced.

So! That’s what went on at the appointment today. Andrew and I loved that we were able to listen to Tadpole’s heart beat for 20 minutes. There’s just something about it that is not only reassuring, but comforting and a joy as well. And tomorrow, we’ll get to see Tadpole! Either via an ultrasound or in my arms. ^_^

Here’s what a baby’s heart beat sounds like in the womb:

1 comment:

  1. Looks like tadpole is taking her sweet time, she is perfectly happy and content :). I was a week overdue with Micah with only being dialated at 1cm. I was losing amniotic fluid so the doc had to induce. Turned out to be over 17 hours of labor. Praying this NOT for you! Regardless, the Lord is with you no matter what. Cling to those verses that will give you strength, you will do great!! We are praying, G&S

    ReplyDelete