Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Figuring Out the Moves


Over the last couple days, Kayley has started to figure out she can move more by herself. It started last Saturday when we were over at my aunt and uncles for dinner. We had Kayley lying on the floor on a blanket. It was the first time that she really was kicking and leaning to her left and right. Then she figured out that she can push her feet on the floor on make herself move. She even almost turned herself on her side a couple times, but continued to be on her back.

Since then, when she’s has floor play she has been moving her body more. For a while she has been reaching up to hit her toys on her jungle gym mat. Now she is kicking and pushing with her feet while on her back. And yesterday for the first time she got herself onto her side. She was so close to rolling over onto her tummy a couple times, all she needed to do was swing her leg over a bit more and shift her body weight a bit, and gravity would have done the rest. But she rolled back onto her back each time.

It’s still really exciting to watch though. I keep thinking any time now she could figure it out and rollover. I know she’ll do it when she’s ready. Then she’ll probably get frustrated and annoyed about being on her tummy since she still isn’t a huge fan of tummy time. I’ve already been able to see this reaction with another skill she has been working on.  

Sometimes during my storybook reading time with Kayley I will sit on the floor with my legs out in a V and have Kayley sitting in front of me with her back leaning against me. Yesterday she started to lean forward, well almost launch herself forward. I kept catching her and holding her back, but she kept doing it. So I moved our books out of the way and let her do it again, this time without stopping her motion. Basically she did a face plant onto the carpet (not hard or anything). She didn’t stop there though! She kept on moving and wiggling until she was lying flat on her tummy with her arms out to the side. She stayed like that for a little bit, lifted up her head a few times to look around, and then started her frustrated cry. I don’t know if it’s because she realized she was on her tummy, or if it was because she couldn’t figure out how to move more.

Andrew got home at the end of our reading time and Kayley started doing her launching forward thing again. So I said “look what our daughter can do” as Kayley face planted again (still without tears), and wiggled until she was on her tummy. We figure she needs to learn cause and effect at some point, and she’s not hurting herself. Eventually this motion can turn into leaning forward with her hands out to start to crawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment