Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Day

Mother’s Day was an adventure this year! It was jam packed with activities. It started with the 1st-6th grader’s performance at church of the musical “The Amazing Grace Race” by Celeste Clydesdale. I was part of the director team again and helped teach the children the music, lyrics, and reminded them to sing loud with a smile.

Directing the kids during the first song.
Their performance was wonderful! Each one of them worked so hard to memorize their parts and they each were spectacular! I’m always so impressed with their performances.

"Coutch Potato" song
A side effect of helping to direct the musical is that everyone in your household learns the music and lyrics. The kids did two performances, and we let Kayley set in on the second one. Oh my goodness was she into it. I was busy directing, so I only got to hear the stories about how she was trying to do the hand motions and singing part of the songs with the kids. I did hear her a few times clapping and cheering after each song. I guess she’s getting ready to join in when she gets old enough.


The musical performance of course made Mother’s Day special, but it was extra special to us because Shilo was dedicated! In my blog about Mother’s Day last year I explained that Kayley was dedicated and explained it as “Andrew and I saying in front of our church family that we will raise Kayley to know God, and asking our church family to keep us accountable to that (Proverbs 22:6 Raise up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it). It’s different from baby baptism, which I disagree with, but that’s a whole other theological story and explanation.” We actually took Kayley up on stage with us because we wanted her to be a part of it as well.

Pastor Craig interviewed each parent to learn a little about their little one (5 children were dedicated this year). We explained why we picked the name Shilo; not only did we think of the name because of a good friend named Shilo and her great characteristics as a Christian woman, but that the name can be translated to mean a resting place and is a biblical name. During my pregnancy I had to continuously find rest in God and get strength from Him, especially since my emotions were even crazier than they were with Kayley and I was constantly getting sick. We bestowed Hope as her middle name because both Andrew and I agree that we find our hope in the Lord, and we both thought of a worship song that emphasizes that. Mine was “I Will Not be Shaken” by Tony Guerrero (lyrics at the bottom).


Pastor Craig also asked what we’ve been able to see of her personality thus far. Andrew explains Shilo is the thinker as opposed to Kayley who is the doer. As I’m explaining how she loves to examine things and puts any and everything into her mouth she began reaching for the mic with her mouth open wide, perfectly demonstrating what I just explained.


We also shared how our hope and aspirations for her is that she will also find her hope and rest in God and will trust in Him at a young age. We also hope she will continue to be curious about the things around her and see God’s work in all things.

We know we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God, but to the best of our abilities we want to raise our girls to know the truth and follow after the one true God. Part of this is to be godly examples to them and continuously strive to be more loving like Jesus each day. If you are a believer in the one true God, we’d love for you to help keep us accountable to this. If not and you have questions, please feel free to ask.


Mother’s Day didn’t end with just these two exciting things. As I explained in my last post we then had a family party for Kayley’s 2nd birthday. We’re so glad Andrew’s folks were able to come join us for it all, and that they watched the girls the following day so I could get my Mother’s Day gift: a movie date out with Andrew to see Iron Man 3.



(I Will Not Be) Shaken by Tony Guerrero

My soul finds rest in You, my fortress and my rock
My hope for life, my hiding place, my refuge and my God

In You I've found my home, my shelter from the storm
And I'll pour out my heart to You and lean upon Your throne

I will put my trust in You, I will put my hope there, too
I will stand upon Your word and I will not be shaken

I will let my praises show, holding on to what I know
‘Cause I know You're always there and I will not be shaken. I will not be shaken!

I will not be moved, I'm leaning on the throne
‘Cause You died for me and called me to Your own
And even when the strongest winds begin to blow
I will stand my ground, I will not be moved, I will not be shaken


No comments:

Post a Comment