Friday, June 7, 2013

Girls' Room



About two weeks ago we moved Shilo into Kayley’s room, now called “The Girls Room.” We were planning on doing it soon, but the actual day that it happened just kind of fell into place. It all started with scoring a $1 TV at Value Village on Purple Tag $1 day. Our TV died over two months ago and could not be saved and we made the decision to not spend money on a replacement and instead rearranged our furniture. Well, with the $1 TV we had to rearrange everything again, and I mean everything. The way things worked out is that each room had something change in it. We really liked how it all turned out and that includes Shilo’s bed being out of our room.

 The transition went a lot better than expected the first few nights especially since we didn’t really get to prep Kayley for the big change coming. But Kayley was excited to be a special big sister with the baby in her room, and she surprisingly sleeps through Shilo’s crying more than half the time. We prepped Kayley by telling her that mommy would have to come get the baby during the night to feed her, but that it was still night-night and that the baby would go back to sleep after she ate. Thankfully Kayley seemed to understand this concept quite well and for the times she has stirred or woken up completely I just have to say “Mama has to feed the baby. It’s still night-night time. Baby will come back to sleep when she’s done eating” and Kayley lays back down and goes back to sleep. There have been two occasions that she was upset I took the baby out of the room and stayed awake waiting for Shilo to come back before going back to bed.

It did take Shilo a while to get used to the room. As if on cue, 15-30 minutes after putting Shilo to bed she would cry to just make sure I was nearby. Thankfully she isn’t doing this as often anymore, but when she does I go give her her paci. We haven’t had her cry it out yet since we all happened to get sick one day after this all started and I wanted both the girls to get good sleep. The whole sick thing did throw a bit of a wrench into the whole adjustment, especially for nap time…

Night time goes a little like this:
7:50pm Girls get ready for bed, followed by family prayer time.
8:10pm Kayley’s special book time with daddy followed by him singing 3 songs before putting her in her crib (I’m out in the other room with Shilo playing)
9:45pm Shilo nurses
10:10pm Shilo goes to bed
4:00am Shilo wakes up to eat
4:30am Shilo back to bed
8:30am Girls wake up and get ready for the day


Nap time has taken longer to work out. Before the cold struck our family, the girls were actually synced for their napping schedule. But the cold threw that off completely. I actually had Shilo sleep in our bed a few times, surrounded by pillows so she wouldn’t roll off just so both girls would get at least some sleep without waking each other up. It has taken 2 weeks for the cold to hit our family and leave. We are finally getting back to our “normal” nap time schedule where Kayley’s finishes her lunch and is then put down for nap time. I then nurse Shilo and then put her down about 20 minutes later. They tend to have about 2hrs of overlap sleeping before Shilo wakes up to play. So I go get Shilo and we have play time for about an hour, then I nurse her and then we go get Kayley who typically has been having quiet time for the last bit.

We’re still adjusting to the girls being in one room, and I think they are too. But oh my goodness it nice to have our room to ourselves again! We can have the light on when getting ready for bed, and talk in normal voices! I’m glad we’ve had such a great experiences. I really didn’t think it would go this well. Now Shilo just has to work on sleeping longer at night and we’ll all be getting more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment