I met
my midwife today. Yup, that’s right, I changed from an OB to a midwife. Not
that I didn’t like Doc. S., or my first pregnancy experience, it’s just I want
to try something a little different for our second baby. Plus, since we’re on
the eastside now we figured we should choose a physician and a hospital closer
to us (I’ll be delivering at Evergreen). And so far I really, really like my
midwife. We will call her M (no, not James Bond’s M of course).
Our
first appointment went splendid. I really like the staff, and as I said I
really like M. Everyone was really welcoming and were really easy to talk to
and open up to – something I think is important during pregnancy. You need to
feel you can trust and talk to those who are caring for you about everything
relating to your pregnancy or can relate to it. The question M asked us that
Andrew and I liked best was “what do you want to be different about this
pregnancy and delivery compared to your first one?” At first I had no idea what
to say, but M helped us both think through a few things and come up with
answer. I also liked how she answered my question: what’s the difference in
what an OB and a midwife do and what are the main differences in their
philosophies? I’ve read answer for this, but M answered this is such a clear
understandable way.
During
the appointment there was an attempt to hear little Cub’s heartbeat, but as M
explained, it can be really hard to hear it with the device she was using. The
Doppler she was using cannot hear a heartbeat behind bone, and this early in
pregnancy the baby is typically behind the mother’s pelvic bone. I was a little
discouraged that we didn’t get to hear Cub’s heart. My logical side of my brain
totally understood why, and that there was nothing to worry about. But my
pregnant side of my brain was yelling “is my baby okay?!?! Why can’t I hear my
baby’s heart beat?!?!” But then she
pulled in a portable ultrasound. ^_^
We got
to see Cub for the first time today. ^_^ Our little blob of a baby even wiggled
around for us! Oh it made me so happy to see Cub moving around, because a
moving baby is a baby who is doing well. This also made M suspect I am farther
along in pregnancy than counting the days since my last period shows (by
counting we just started week 9). So next Tuesday we have an appointment for an
ultrasound where they do all the measurements to figure out a better
guestimation for when your little one is due. We did this with Kayley too, and
my due date shifted by almost a week and a half. Of course then she was
stubborn and came nearly two weeks late. We’ll have to wait and see if Cub will
be stubborn too.
![]() |
| Our little Cub |
All
that to say, I am so happy that we saw our baby today! And we have this picture too. I look forward to meeting with M more as we get farther along in
my pregnancy, and seeing how Cub grows and develops. I can’t wait to see Cub
again on Tuesday!!! ^_^

No comments:
Post a Comment