Monday, December 6, 2010

Hospital Tours


Yesterday was a fun, yet exhausting day for me. I started off in the 4 and 5 year old classroom, and then went straight to the children's musical practice. We had an extra long practice that went after church so we could practice on stage (they perform next Sunday!). Then after that Andrew and I headed straight to the Swedish Medical Center in Ballard to take a tour of their childbirth center to decide if this is the place we want our little girl to be born. We actually had a tour of the Northwest Hospital back in October, so now it’s time to compare.

The Ballard campus was pretty nice. The rooms are pretty darn big so family and friends can fit comfortable when they come to visit Tadpole when she’s born. And the rooms come with a lot of amenities to help make labor and delivery as comfortable and stress free as possibly. They seemed to have everything you might need while in labor and delivery. However, the overall feel of the Ballard campus was rather low for both Andrew and me. Sure it’s sterile, and Tadpole would most likely be in good hands entering the world, but the overall environment doesn’t seem to be quiet what I am personally looking for.

Northwest Hospital had all the same amenities as Ballard, but the labor and delivery rooms where a bit smaller (still totally a nice comfy size). Unlike Ballard, Northwest had a homey feel to the childbirth center, and the nurse on staff seemed really open and welcoming even when you just walked through the room with a “I’m on a mission” look.  Plus, if complications were to arise or Tadpole decided to come before the end of week 35, I wouldn’t be transferred to a different hospital campus that is further away (Ballard does this, except for C-sections). And there’s the whole, NW Hospital is only 5 minutes away when walking. Though Ballard is reasonably close too (about 20 to 30 minutes driving).

I’m sure after reading that you’d think our minds are made up with where Tadpole is going to be born. Well, they’re pretty darn close to being made up, but we want to spend some time in prayer and thought before we make a decision. Plus we’re looking into our list of OBGYN a bit closer too, and of course if there is one I really want to see that only can delivery at a certain hospital, than we’d go to that hospital.

After all that was said and done, we headed to my sister’s house to celebrate my niece’s 16th birthday! It was fun to hear about Sara and Heidi’s trip to Disneyland, and share a yummy dinner with family while celebrating Sara’s sweet 16! Happy Birthday, Sara!!!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely go for the close hospital, riding in the car while in labor is torture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Sarah. Of course I wouldn't know from experiences, but I am going to keep that in mind! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete