Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Teething


Two Thursdays ago we discovered that Kayley has her first tooth cutting through. She was chewing on my finger and I felt something sharp, so I looked in her mouth to find a tiny bit of her bottom front left tooth cutting through. She has been really teething since! Her front left tooth has come through a bit more, but there hasn’t been too much of a difference.

This unfortunately means our poor little girl has had a hurting mouth for nearly two weeks now. And this morning we noticed her bottom front right tooth is just starting to cut through her gum. She has been chomping away on toys, cloth, fingers, her clothes, basically anything she can put in her mouth (thankfully she hasn’t tried to bit the cat or kids in the nursery at church) to try and sooth her pain. Sometimes she bits something the wrong way making her mouth hurt more and suddenly cries out in pain. It’s very sad to hear and I really do wish I could do more for her.

We’ve been putting Orajel  in her mouth, but it only seems to be helping with her pain a tiny bit. At night or when she has been really fussy during the day we’ve been giving her some infant Tylenol. But what seems to work best for her is cuddles. Since her first tooth started coming through she has become a lot more attached to mama, and wanting cuddles only from mama and no one else. This is also because she is starting to have attachment issues (no stranger anxiety yet, so hopefully she will love meeting everyone in Cali during Christmas). There is a distinct cry for mommy, and if you are not me, it can be very difficult to calm her down. Thankfully if there are a lot of people around this does not seem to be too much of an issue yet because she is distracted by watching everyone. But in a one-on-one situation she is more likely to do her mommy cry.

I’m hoping these teeth will finish cutting through soon and that we’ll either get a little break, or many will come in at the same time and quickly so we can just get it over with. It hasn’t been too bad yet (we’re all still sleeping pretty good through the night), but I am a little afraid at how it might be and feel bad for the pain Kayley is feeling. But at the same time I remind myself that Andrew and I went through the same thing and survived, and so did our parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment