Friday, October 5, 2012

Cub’s 37 Week Check-up and Ultrasound

Now you can vote on when you think Cub will arrive. Don't worry, your vote is anonymous, so no one will know if you're right or wrong. Poll is located near the top of the blog on the right.


The ultrasound:
Yesterday we had our follow up ultrasound to the one we had at 32 weeks. Oh my gosh, our experience was so much better! The ultrasound tech we had this time was great like last time, but a bit more personable and quicker at doing her job. We had fun chatting with her while she took Cub’s measurements. Andrew and I had fun guessing what she was looking at before she told us, and amazingly we were actually pretty good at guessing correctly. We only have one picture from this visit since we’re at 37 weeks, and thus Cub is really squished and snug in the womb. We did get to watch her grab her toes with one of her hands. That was pretty cute. Her other hand was up by her face, just like it was with her sister. I’m really hoping she doesn’t do what Kayley did and punch me on the way out. That was not a nice bruise or tear to heal from…

Anyway! The tech took a couple extra measurements of Cubs heart to follow up on the leaky valve they discovered last time. It doesn’t look to be a big issue, like we expected, and will just be something for Cub’s pediatrician to listen to after she’s born, and possibly do an ultrasound on if necessary. Cub’s heart rate was 146bpm during the ultrasound, and she was practicing breathing really well too. 
After all the measurements were in the tech went to get Doc. W. We had such a good experience meeting with him! I wish he was the doctor we saw after the last ultrasound (having a British accent scored him points too, not that the accent really matters). He was very respectful and had great bedside manners. Doc W also talked at a normal pace and didn’t make us feel like he was in a rush. He showed us some growth charts and asked if we’d seen graphs like them before explaining it. I thought that was really nice and I was able to say I had because of my Child Development degree, but Andrew hadn’t. So he explained what they were, but didn’t make us feel dumb or ignorant.

What did we find out from these charts? Well, turns out Cub is a big baby. And I mean over all she is a big baby. Her proportions are all normal, and her growth spurts have been normal. Looking at her measurements, they do not fall into the pattern of a baby who’s mother has gestational diabetes (which Doc P was freaking out about), but just a baby who happens to be bigger than the average baby at this point. Cub was guestimated to be about 8lbs currently, and if I go all the way to 40 weeks, it’s guessed she’ll be about 9.5lbs. So yes, bigger than her sister (Kayley was 7lbs 11oz), but in the normal zone. I actually though Kayley was going to be bigger than she was because of the size of babies on my side of the family, but she wasn’t. Cub, however, is looking to be in the average range of baby size for people on my side of the family.

37 Week Appointment:
Yet again I didn’t get to meet C, but I did see S again. It’s been 17 weeks since I saw her, so it was nice to see her again in case she ends up being the one to deliver Cub. They’re having an open house soon, so I might plan on going to that so that I for sure get to see all the midwives faces in person before Cub comes (unless she comes before the open house).

My appointment went well. Cub’s heart rate was 144bpm. And currently my uterus is measuring 38cm. So yay! I’m totally back in the normal range! I did ask S for a referral to possibly see a masseuse or chiropractor since my body is starting to hurt more and my back is started to feel like it’s locking up more often. Now I just have to see if our insurance covers it and how much it would cost to see if we can do it or not.

And since I forgot to post my 36 week picture last week, here it is for you!

36 weeks! That's 9 months!

Hugs to mama and sister
*** ALSO! Don't forget to vote on when you think Cub will arrive. Poll is located near the top of the blog on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment