Things
don’t just stop once the baby is born. You’d think you’d get to just rest and
recover, but that’s not how it works, especially if extra tests need to be
done. Okay, so maybe I’m making it sound worse than it typically is. But for
us, it did seem like we didn’t get much of a break in between tests and exams.
Shilo had to have her routine hearing test, have a prick for a PKU test, get
her hepatitis B shot, have her blood sugar levels checked 3 times since she was
“big”, have a cardiovascular echo done because of the “leaky valve” they found
in her heart while she was in the womb, have her temperature checked, be
weighed again, the pediatrician came to do a routine check, she was bathed,
learned to nurse, and a few other routine things.
 |
| Nurse E giving Shilo her first bath |
 |
| The pediatrician checking up on Shilo |
 |
| Shilo having her cardiovascular echo done. |
I had
my blood pressure watched very carefully since I lost so much blood (I’m a
redhead, we’re known to lose more blood than most people), had a flu shot, had
my temperature checked regularly, started taking pain meds after the epidural
was out of my system, worked on getting stability in my legs, had a lactation
nurse stop by and talk about breast feeding, was check “down there” a few times
to make sure all was well, finally ate food and drank water and OJ, tried to
sleep, nursed Shilo, called/e-mailed family and friends, enjoyed visitors, and
a few other things.
Things
were busy. Thankfully we had a great nurse, nurse C. I think she is the best
nurse I have ever had. I am so thankful for everything she did post-birth.
Since I
had an epidural and had lost a lot of blood, we waited until Saturday afternoon
to head home. I wanted to make sure my light headedness had gone away and that
I was able to walk on my own. So we had a long hospital stay, but we think it
was the right decision to make.
I have
to say that when we left the hospital, my body felt like what it did two weeks
after giving birth to Kayley. It’s probably partly because Shilo didn’t punch
me on the way out. But labor did seem to be better, and the whole birthing experience
was better too. I am so happy I had a midwife this time, and so thankful that
it was midwife H who was with me. She helped to make me more relaxed, respected
my birth plan, and was in the room and just hanging out (OBs don’t do that).
She was with me practically the whole time, and I think that really made a
difference too.
 |
| Getting ready to leave the hospital; gotta make sure the straps are in the right places for Shilo |
 |
| About to leave the hospital |
 |
| Walking to our apartment |
Thank
you everyone who came and visited us in the hospital. It was so wonderful and
encouraging to have you stop by and share your love with Shilo. Thank you so
much!
 |
| Snuggles with mama |
 |
| Lovin's from dada |
 |
| Love from Maimie |
 |
| Love from her Aunty Heidi, who was a great support while she was born |
 |
| Uncle Mace and Aunt Janet stopped by to meet her |
 |
| Uncle Steve and Aunt Lisa were excited to see the new addition to the family |
 |
| My cousin Kelli, happy for a new little baby in the family |
No comments:
Post a Comment