Sunday, January 16, 2011

Birthing Class #2 and a Shout Out!

Our second and final birthing class was yesterday. We yet again covered a LOT in just four hours. Yesterday’s topics were: Precipitous labor (fast labor), premature labor, how to make a birthing plan, how to use BRAIN (thinking of the Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, Intuition, and what doing Nothing would do) to make an informed choice/decision, induction, augmentation (long labor), labor pain (and remembering that labors PAIN is Purposeful, Anticipated, Intermittent, and Normal), different types of pain meds, how an epidural is used and what it does, 2nd stage interventions (episiotomy, vacuum and forceps), the procedure for a cesarean, what happens in postpartum (after birth), and the basics of feeding your new born.

I think anyone would agree that list is a LOT to cover in 4 hours. What was nice is the class didn’t feel rushed. Our instructor, Joy, made everything flow together really well. Though it was a lot of lecturing. But I’m used to lectures having to do with children. We did watch a video that followed a woman’s labor and her child’s birth via a c-section. And we got to look at a lot of the medical tools that can be used in case you opt to have an epidural or you’re in the second stage of labor (pushing) and need innovations. I think most people were surprised at how big the forceps were. Someone mentioned that they looked like huge salad tongs. I hope Tadpole doesn’t need help coming out when she enters the world! And if she does, and forceps need to be used, I hope they warm them up!

Overall though I think the class was well worth is. I would have liked having more practice time for coping methods having to do with breathing, but Andrew and I can talk about it and practice those at home. Now I just need to finish reading the text we got from the class. I’ve already read a fair amount of it, but I’ve also started reading other child development books to brush up on my knowledge. Makes me miss being in school…

Dear Humboldtian friends, I miss you all!!!

My Child Development grad class. Funny thing is three of us in this picture are pregnant right now.

Graduating friends (We knew each other from Campus Crusade for Christ)

On the Trinidad Head Trail loop

Hanging out at Trinidad Beach

Halloween 2008 Ladies Costume Party!!!

Hanging out and being us
The "after party" from my goodbye party. Don't worry, the bottles are Martinelli's cider
Some of my Humboldt friends at our wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment