I am officially full term! And a month away from Tadpole’s due date! Whooohoo! As we draw closer to April 27th Tadpole becomes more and more prepared for life outside the womb, but right now she would also do really well. So I guess you could say she could come any day now, but most likely not for a few weeks. Gotta give her a little time to plump up and have cute baby fat that also helps to regulate her body temperature. Just don’t get really big, Tadpole, okay?
Well, Tadpole must have had a little growth spurt this last week. My uterus is measuring at 37cm, which is one centimeter more than the average woman at this point, but also kind of normal. I blame it on all the good food this last week (the highlights being the food at the church baby shower and my cousin’s birthday party). Tadpole’s heart rate was measured at 144bpm and yet again, she kicked the Doppler Doc. S was using to listen to her heart. And she’s still head down and should be staying that way (you got that lil girl? You stay head down from here on out. And I mean out literally, okay?).
After all the info was gathered on Tadpole, Doc. S had me repeat when I should call in about labor to make sure I remembered all the information correctly from last week. I got that down pat! Then I asked him a little about what he typically does or allows during the birth of one’s baby. I asked him if I could have little Tadpole right away or if he had a procedure he prefers to do. Doc S said I could have her right away, and that I had the choice to either have her cleaned up a bit before she’s placed on me, or while she’s on me. I told him I’d probably want her to be cleaned up a little. Babies are like little Yodas that are wet from amniotic fluid, and covered in some vernix caseosa (this white/creamy stuff that covers a baby’s skin when in the womb) and some blood when they’re born… To be honest I don’t know if I will think that it’s kind of gross or not when she’s born. I know it’s 100% normal, and that there is a great chance I won’t care about it at all and just want my little one. But who knows. I told Doc S I’d probably want her cleaned a bit unless I said something like “I want her now!”
I also asked him when he cuts the umbilical cord (some doctors do it right away, and some wait until after the placenta is pushed out). He said he has it cut when the umbilical cord stops pulsing, which I guess typically occurs fast. He also said that he is open to Andrew or someone else cutting the umbilical cord, and typically asks if someone wants to cut it unless you tell him before hand not to ask this and just have him cut it. Andrew and I will have to discuss what we want to have happen. We might not come up with a decision until Tadpole’s out and breathing oxygen.
During this appointment I was also tested for Group B Strep. You can read about it here. About 20-25% of women in the US have this bacteria and are healthy. The thing is it exists in the birth canal, and if you’re a carrier of it, your baby has a chance of becoming infected. Only about 1 in every 2,000 babies in the US become infected, but it can have serious affects on your baby which is why women are screened for it. This way they know if you need to be given antibiotics before you give birth to your baby to fight against it. I’ll be getting the results at my check up next week.
We only have a month left until Tadpole’s due date! I know full well she will enter the world in God’s perfect timing. This means when God knows Tadpole is ready and when Andrew and I are ready as well. Who knows when that will be but God. But you all can guess by placing your vote on when you think Tadpole will be born. The poll is located on the right near the top of the blog.
But we’ve come to the end of another month! So here’s a monthly picture for you all to look at.
| March baby bump - week 36 |
| Hoshi wanted some camera time with her mommy. |
Awe, Carolyn, you are such an adorable pregnant lady!!! Seriously..you look fantastic! Hope this last month treats you well :o)
ReplyDeleteYay for getting this much closer!! I always thought that having my baby up on my chest right away would be so weird and gross. I wanted to do it with Lily, but circumstances didn't allow. With Hannah, I was indecisive because I knew what all was involved. But as soon as she came out, all of my fears totally went away and all I wanted to do was hold her, no matter how gross she was (which wasn't that much, by the way)! That's great that you're keeping an open mind! And I love, love, LOVE that your doc waits until after the cord stops pulsing!!
ReplyDelete