Friday, March 11, 2011

Doctors. Doctors. Doctors!

I believe I mentioned in a previous post that I have been fighting a cold. It started as a sore throat two Sundays ago, and then turned into a cough. That cough turned into a horrible cough that was bringing up mucus… And then this last Tuesday, the Tuesday that marked our 50 day count, my right ear plugged up and didn’t clear. In a four hour period it went from being clogged up, to being clogged up and painful! I called Doc S (my OBGYN) and Doc T (my primary doctor) to let them know what was going on and ask what I should do. I have never had an ear infection before. Or if I did I was very young and don’t remember it at all. But to my recollection, this is my first ear infection.

I called Andrew in tears from the pain letting him know what was going on and asking if he could come home. Thankfully within about 15 minutes of me calling, he was able to leave the office and head home. We were hoping we’d be able to get in to see a doctor. At this point in time my balance was starting to be off and my head was starting to feel really foggy, so I didn’t trust myself to drive. Thus I was extremely happy Andrew could make it home, and that Doc T stayed late in his office so he could check out my ear.

Doc T took one quick look at my ear and said “wow! You could take a picture of this and put it in a text book. It looks like it’s about to pop.” He went on to explain that my ear had a 50/50 chance of popping on its own from the pressure build up. He prescribed an antibiotic and also an ear drop that would basically help to numb my ear so I would have less pain. He told me if my ear did pop it would hurt probably about 10 times worse than what I was currently feeling for about a minute, and then I would feel relief. And to not use the ear drop after my ear popped. Wouldn’t want that to go into an opened wound!

It turns out pressure was continuing to build, and during the night my ear popped and released some of the gunk that was behind my ear drum. Unfortunately it did not all drain out. The pain is gone, but I still can’t hear out of my right ear, my balance is still off and it feels like I have a fish bowl over my ear.

So, today after my OBGYN appointment (don’t worry I’ll get to that!), we went to see Doc Y for my ear. She was really nice. I started off with a hearing test so they could tell if my ear drum was damaged at all. Sure I can’t hear out of my right ear that well right now, but my ear drum seems to not be effected and there shouldn’t be any long term effects. Yay!!!

Basically Doc Y told me that the tube that leads from my ear to my nose throat area (the Eustachian tube) is clogged up and needs to be unclogged. So I get to do another round of the antibiotic, plus a nasal spray, and to continue to use my neti pot. I have another appointment with her in two weeks to see how my ear is. Hopefully it will be unclogged, my balance will be back, and my hearing will be back way before then!



On top of those doctor visits, I had my regular OBGYN check-up with Doc S this morning as well. We’re making sure Doc S stays in the loop on what I’m taking for my cold and all that so we know that it’s safe to do while preggers and safe for Tadpole. He okayed it all and hopped I’d be feeling better soon.  His only concern was with my weight. I’ve been at the same mark for over a month now, and I’m supposed to be gaining a little weight each week. Of course being sick has made me loose my appetite, so he completely understands that. My weight staying the same isn’t horrible, but it would be nice to make sure I’m getting enough in me for both Tadpole and I.

As for Tadpole, she seems to be doing quite well. Her little heart was recorded at 144bpm, and this time she didn’t kick him while he was getting her heart rate. And my uterus growth is right where it should be for being at about the half way point of week 33. And if you remember from the little lesson I gave 2 weeks ago, this means my uterus is measuring at 33.5 centimeters. For those of you who guessed that, you get a gold star!

My blood sugar test came back, and it looks good. I don’t have to drink the nasty tasting sugar water! Whoohoo! I still think it’s funny that my blood sugar count is in the “low” range when I love cookies and sugar so much. I guess my body just processes it really well. ^_^Doc S also said that it feels like Tadpole is in a head down position still. And I hope she stays that way!

Doc S also asked if I was experiencing any contractions. I said yes, but that they don’t happen that often at all. Like maybe 1-3 a week for the past 3 weeks. And they only feel like very very very mild cramps. Just enough to notice them. For those of you who just grew concerned, don’t worry! It’s completely normal to experience Braxton hick’s contractions (not real labor contractions) during pregnancy. A woman’s uterus contracts so her body can “practice” and prepare for labor. If you’re interested, you can read more about them here.

I’ll be seeing Doc S again in another two weeks! Then I believe we change to having an appointment every week. 
Don't forget to vote in the poll when you think Tadpole will be born! It's all a matter of luck because none of us can truly know for sure when she'll enter the world. So have fun and make a guess. ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment