Monday, April 4, 2011

Unscheduled Doctor Appointment

Before you get too concerned or excited, let me first say that changing my doctor appointment from this Thursday to suddenly this morning was not due to Tadpole’s health, but my own. Though Doc. S did go ahead and do all the usually check-ups, and we canceled my Thursday appointment and I’ll have my regular check up next week on Tuesday.

Anyway! Today I had to suddenly go in due to the possibility of developing a yeast infection, yuck! Most women reading this know how uncomfortable those can be… And sadly the chances of getting a yeast infection increases when you’re pregnant. Good thing is that yeast infections do not affect the baby at all. The only time Tadpole would be affected by me having a yeast infection is if I had one while I was giving birth to her. But she doesn’t seem to be coming any time super soon, so there’s time to take some meds and have the yeast infection clear up.

Doc S prescribed to me Fluconazole, which is different than most meds for yeast infections because you take it orally and you only have to take a single pill. The medication stays in your system for a few days, and symptoms begin to diminish within 24 hours and eventually disappear. This clears up most infections, so since I only have a mild infection it should work great!

As I said, Tadpole isn’t being affected by my yeast infection at all. She’s doing well, like usual. Her heart rate was measured at 144bpm again, and my uterus is almost 38cm. Doc S asked if I was having any contractions and I told him I’ve been having about 1-2 a day that just feel like mild cramps and usually don’t tend to last long. He said since it doesn’t seem that much is going on we’ll wait to check my cervix until we get closer to Tadpole’s due date.

Some women want their cervix checked at each appointment around this time, but Doc S expressed that since it can be uncomfortable to do and if contractions aren’t happening frequently the cervix isn’t likely to be dilating yet, and doing an exam can increase the likelihood of an infections, he thinks it’s best to hold off on it. However, he also told me that if I want him to check and see if I’ve started to efface or dilate, then he will. I’m on the same page as him though. I prefer to wait to check my cervix. Maybe in a couple weeks we’ll have Doc S check, unless contractions increase or my water breaks of course.


On a cute side note, yesterday my Sunday school kids were adorable! We usually sing a few songs before story time, and the songs tend to have hand motions and/or you stand up and sit down during the song. Changing from a sitting position to a standing position quickly is getting difficult to do. So lately during the song time I’ll either stand the whole time or sit down. Since the kids know Tadpole is due soon and that next Sunday will be my last Sunday in the classroom for a couple months, they had a lot of questions!

They wanted to know Tadpole’s name, and I sadly told them it was secret and that I couldn’t even give them a hint. So they tried guessing a few names like Marissa, Melissa, Emma and Emily. Then they asked if my tummy felt hard or soft. I told them they could feel my tummy if they wanted to, but they all decided they were too shy to do this, or that my belly was just too weird. I did describe to them that some areas feel harder than others due to Tadpole pushing/leaning out with a part of her body. I thus went on to feel my belly and try to identify some of Tadpole’s body parts. I pointed at where her behind was and poked at where the top of her head was. One of the girls then exclaimed “don’t poke her!”

It was super cute! They were so curious and asking all these questions and making comments, and yet didn’t want to feel my tummy when Tadpole was still or moving. They did sing “Allelu Allelu” to Tadpole by singing louder and singing towards my tummy, and Tadpole started dancing to their singing. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment