We rented a 26 foot Uhaul truck to fit all my mom’s stuff in (she also had room in her van). We took it slow in the morning though, making a donut run and a stop at the grocery store for some juice. Then at 10am the packing and cleaning began. Almost all my siblings were there to help (Amy is still recovery from her car accident), and many of my mom’s friends showed up to help out too. The men were the heavy lifters and organized the packing of the truck, while us women brought the medium and light weight items to the truck and did the majority of the cleaning.
 |
| The truck and my brother's trailer (for the piano and more) in the driveway |
 |
| The men packing the truck |
 |
| Heavy lifting |
 |
| Judy making sure all is clean! |
 |
| Donnet was a great vacuumer! |
 |
| Donnet and Dee making sure all the windows shine |
 |
| Heidi washing the floors |
 |
| It takes two men (Andrew and Tim) and a baby (Kayley) to hang a chandelier |
At 10am the truck was practically empty and by 3:00-3:30 it was packed full and done. Around 3:30ish the house was clean. Never have I seen a house packed up and cleaned spotless so fast! In just over 5 hours (yes, that’s including a lunch break), all was done. It was unbelievable. Thank you to all those who helped my mom move. We took our time leaving, taking one last look, and making a toast for my mom’s big move.
 |
| The truck all packed |
 |
| Cheers! |
 |
| My mom ready to take her next step in life! |
 |
| Locking up the house one last time |
While the packing was going on, Kayley was having fun playing with her cousin, Adelyn and her Aunty Beth in the front yard (thanks Beth for watching the girls!). Adelyn and Kayley discovered the fountain in the front yard and they both enjoyed splashing around in it. Though it took them a while to figure out how to share the space and play next to each other.
 |
| Adelyn and Kayley playing in the fountain |
 |
| Kayley loved splashing in the water |
I also took time out from packing to document the whole event. And since I know my mom loves her garden so much I took pictures of all her flowers. Plus, when everything was packed and cleaned I took pictures of the house. I’ll post a picture blog of this all soon.
Today my mom’s realtor called asking who her moving company was so she could recommend them to other clients, since she knew my mom trusted them so much and had a great experience with them. My mom thus told the realtor that it was all her kids and a few great friends, and that sadly we weren’t for hire.
 |
| My Family, aka The packers and movers |
Funny conversation: When all was packed my mom commented that she felt like her whole life was packed away in the truck. I thus pointed out that neither I, nor any of my siblings were stuffed inside the truck so her statement wasn’t completely true, and that I preferred to be out in the open than crammed in a small confined space.
Goodbye (again), home I grew up in!
 |
| Rick driving the truck away |
 |
| I remember when it was cream with a blue trim. I forget what it was before that... Brown and something. Or cream-ish with a brown trim? Anyway! Goodbye house! |
No comments:
Post a Comment