Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cali Trip Day 2

Friday, February 4th, 2011
I was so happy I slept well our first night in Cali. It made it so I had enough energy to get through the whole day without feeling sluggish. Plus the beautiful sunshine probably helped to lift my spirits and wake me up a bit. We took the morning easy on Friday while we looked forward to lunch with the Thompsons in Cali (the family who just moved from WA to CA that I mentioned in yesterdays post).

It was so great to have the Thompsons come over to Andrew’s folk’s place for lunch. Micah (their two and a half year old) was a little confused as to how Andrew and I could be there when he knew he had to travel a long way just a few days before to get to California and their new home. It was cute to see him process through the information as we explained that we came to visit Andrew’s parents and him and his family all the way from Washington. After that, and sweet hugs, he was full of energy and ready to play and eat! We all played outside and inside as we talked about the glorious sun God created, the Thompsons’ move to Cali, and how God has been working in our lives. It was a delicious lunch and a great start to the day.

The distance between WA and CA just can't separate us!

Soon after the Thompsons’ left, Andrew and I were “kicked” out of the house so Mark and Karlyn could prepare for Tadpole’s first baby shower. We happily headed to the beach, a REAL beach, made with sand and not pebbles. Oh how my feet missed sand between my toes!

This is what REAL beaches are made of

Cool sand between my toes while soaking up the sun ^_^

Andrew and I enjoyed walking in the water, sitting in the sand, and just being with one another in one of our favorite settings that you can’t really find in WA. We spent two magnificent hours at the beach. I wonder if Tadpole was able to hear the crashing of the waves over the sound of the swishing of the amniotic fluid she’s in, and all the sounds my body makes that I’m not even aware of. I know she got an extra dose of vitamin D from me basking in the sun. ^_^

So happy to be at the beach and in the water!

Andrew off to play in the waves

The beautiful beach and blue sky!

I had fun taking pictures of our rings in the sand

**As I write this, Tadpole is kicking at my ribs and making it very hard to concentrate… and it hurts… She’s a strong lil girl!!! Don’t break anything, Tadpole.**

After our little excursion we picked up one of my best friends from the bus station. Valerie came up from Arroyo Grande to see us and come to the baby shower. We hadn’t seen her since our wedding! It was so great to see her and catch up. Then it was back to Andrew’s folk’s house for Tadpole’s first baby shower! 

Mark made a print out of Tadpole's (fictional) Facebook page. And I'm holding one of Tadpole's new toys, Prince Frederick the XXVII (aka Freddie)
I felt so blessed by all the ladies who came (the men all went out for pizza). The majority of the women I didn’t know, but they knew Andrew and wanted to bless our little Tadpole. Karlyn started the shower by having everyone say their name and how they knew me or Andrew. It was so neat to hear everything they shared, and sometimes very interesting to learn how they first heard of me. During the introductions though, I got a little distracted because my mom was able to feel Tadpole kick for the first time!!! We were both so excited for the moment, and the little strong hello Tadpole was giving to her Maimie. 

I am so happy Valerie caught the moment on her camera!
Karlyn and her friend Lynn had three games planned for us. First everyone had to try and find the most hidden paper cut out baby bottles  in the room (my mom won that game). Then we all had to try and draw the best baby in the womb picture while we had the paper on a book on top of our heads! Alicia won that game. And the last game was baby bingo, which Valerie won.

We took a break to eat some delicious food before the gift opening began and I was able to discover what everyone had blessed Tadpole with. Such a variety of gifts ranging from cute outfits, to handmade toys and blankets, to pacifiers and more! Thank you again everyone for blessing Tadpole with your love and generosity! I can’t wait for her to use all her gifts. ^_^ We ended the shower in prayer time, where everyone prayed for little Tadpole, Andrew and myself. 

My mom's praying for lil Tadpole
It was so wonderful to meet some of the women who have known Andrew his whole life, or through a bible study he was in when he was younger, etc. I had fun chatting with them all and trying to remember everyone’s name.

This is almost everyone who was at the shower. Some had to leave early

The whole day was amazing. Even though I was exhausted by the end of it, I enjoyed each and every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment