Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Doctor Update


Well, I had my doctor appointment today with Doc S. Everything is still going well. Tadpole’s lil heart was recorded at 146bpm, which is the same as last time. She’s still measuring at taking up the average amount of space in my body, which right now is 31cm. Here’s a little trivia for those who don’t know: starting at about week 20, a woman’s uterus tends to measure, in centimeters, the same number as her week in pregnancy. Of course this is an average. Some women’s uteruses are smaller, some larger. Not everyone has the same body build so obviously there are variations. But it seems Tadpole and I are right on the average mark. So if you understood all that, that means I’m on week _____. Yes, that’s right. I’m on week 31. Just started it actually. ^_^

After all the normal check-up stuff, I asked Doc. S. a few questions. One, I wanted to know how many support people he is comfortable with being in the delivery room. He answered that however many people I want/need that can fit comfortable in the birthing room is fine. Well, I’m not looking at inviting a lot of people in the room, but I was thinking of two people, possibly three. Not to say they’d all be there at the same time.

Anyway! Questions two was about birthing plans. Now-a-days, it seems everyone and everything is saying to write up a birthing plan, or fill out a birthing plan form that some doctors have. So I asked Doc. S. if he wanted me to create one or if he had a form or something. He said if I’d like to create one with my husband, I can. He said they bring up great things to talk about to make sure we’re on the same page. He also said that I don’t need to write one up unless I want to, but to bring up the topics to him that are most important to me and Andrew. So, I made sure he had one thing written down on my chart that I have decided upon; my view of using medication while giving birth. Right now my stance is that I don’t want to use meds to give birth to lil Tadpole. I want to experience it! Even though the thought of pushing a lil person out of me kind of freaks me out…. However, if I come to a point in delivery where I feel I need it, then I’m all for it.

And then I was brave and brought up a topic that really freaks me out: episiotomy. I really don’t want one, and any time I even think about the topic I literally start feeling sick or/and freaked out (that includes right now as I type this). Thankfully Doc. S. is a doctor who does his best at staying away from doing an episiotomy. He explained that he’d only ever make that incision if Tadpole’s life was in danger, or I just couldn’t push anymore and Tadpole needed more help getting out. To tell the truth, it was really hard for me to have this short conversation with Doc. S. I had to concentrate on my breathing and kept reminding myself that everything was okay and to calm down. For some reason I just really don’t like even the thought of an episiotomy…

Okay! Moving on! After all that I had some blood drawn to have my glucose level checked, and for a few other normal routine check-ups that occur during the third trimester. I believe the results should be in at my next visit, which will be in two weeks.

On a completely different note! I now have photos from my mom and two friends from our Cali trip. This means there will be a maternity picture post at some point, and probably another one showing a few more pictures from baby showers. You might have noticed the banner for the blog changed again. It’s a photo Valerie took for us of Andrew and I making a heart with our hands over Tadpole. We love our little girl. ^_^  Thanks, Val! I love that photo!

5 comments:

  1. It is good to hear that your baby is healthy and on track. We all can not wait to meet her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. episiotomy huh lol, that wigged me out to no end too but my doctor told me "compare it to fabric (yeah that didn't help) if you cut it and then apply pressure it rips easier than if you just tug on it with no cut) made sense to me!

    We did the Bradley way, natural child birth thing the browns had recommended.. But I still really wish I had hired a doula. I'm not sure that would have changed the outcome (I had that stupid pre clampsia issue) but It might have helped prevent some resentment towards my husband. Though I doubt your Andrew will play his game boy though your delivery.. If he does maybe we can pray about letting go together :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad everything is going so well!

    I didn't really have a birth plan, but I don't think it would have mattered even if I had. I was only in labor for 6 hours after I was induced (my water broke but I didn't go into labor.) And I learned something new; that I will actually black out from pain, so there was an hour or so before I got the epidural where I don't remember anything. The epidural never really had time to fully take before delivery, but it took the edge off the pain enough so that I at least do remember Hans' birth. If I hadn't had it, I don't think I would have remembered anything. I've never heard of anyone else blacking out, though, so that's just a weird thing I have.

    But I do hope when the time comes that everything goes well for you!

    If you are planning to nurse, I would recommend talking to a lactation consultant ahead of time, and maybe coming up with a nursing plan. Hans and I had a lot of trouble with nursing for the first few weeks, and all of that was more stressful than the entire birth. I had taken a breast feeding class, but it still didn't prepare me for possible problems, or what we would have to do if there were problems. It ended up taking us a few months to get the breast feeding under control, and I can't help but think that if I had been more prepared it would have gone a little more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn I appreciate your blog! I have no clue what goes on with pregnancy and most people I know don't talk about it, so I appreciate you sharing about your doctors appointments and all.

    I don't know if I ever linked this to you, but this woman (www.designmom.com) had a baby last year during which she posted other peoples' birth stories that they sent in, and it's such a beautiful encouraging collection of so many different birth tales. I thought it was really interesting and informative. You might like it:
    http://www.designmom.com/?s=birth+stories
    (if the link doesn't work, so a search on her site for birth stores).

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your encouragement, thoughts and advise. I really do appreciate it.

    And Cindy, you're welcome! Part of the reason why I'm being so open about it is because I realize that I also didn't know much on the mother's side of pregnancy (child development classes focused obviously on the child). You're right when you say not many women talk about it. I figured I could walk people through my experience so they at least know a bit more than I did when I became pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete