Thursday, October 28, 2010

Vampires...

I have the joy of having more blood taken from me later today. I do fine with the whole getting stuck by a needle, but I don’t enjoy it. I have to go in today though because I need to have my thyroid level checked. From the last time I had blood taken, the results showed that my thyroids are overacting a bit. Just enough to draw attention to them, but not enough to have to go to a specialist to get my thyroids working “normally.” So my doctor decided we’d do another blood test to see if the results are the same.

For those who don’t know, thyroids are two glands that are found in your neck. As Wikipedia puts it, “the thyroid controls how quickly the body uses energy, makes proteins, and controls how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.” They also produce a couple hormones. When they become overactive, they create more hormones than you need and don’t keep all your other hormones in check as much as they should.

If my thyroid glands are overactive by just a little (or have returned to “normal”), than it’s nothing to worry about. However, if their activity heightens, then it can become dangerous for the baby and unhealthy for me. So, thank goodness my thyroid level wasn’t super overactive! I’m hoping that the results will be better than last time, and at worse, the same as last time. Thankfully there are things that can be done to make the thyroid glands work the amount they are supposed to.

The extra rise of hormones in my body could possibly explain why I’m still getting nauseated. All pregnant women have a rise in hormones. Those that also have overactive thyroids have even more extra hormones, and thus nausea last longer or is more intense.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Ashton! And yes, Tadpole's creation is amazing. ^_^

    And thanks, Sarah, for the excitement!

    ReplyDelete